How to get to Veliko Tarnovo
- By car
- If you travel by an automobile , Veliko Tarnovo is situated at the crossroads between the roads E85 (Russe – Burgas) and E772 (Sofia – Varna with Hemus – A2 highway in both ends).
- To Veliko Tarnovo by public transport
- You can travel by bus or by train from the bigger cities. There are regular bus lines which travel from Sofia and Varna to Veliko Tarnovo and they arrive at Bus Station South. The duration of the travelling is approximately 3 hours.
- For Bus schedules click here:
- There are also buses from Plovdiv, Russe or Burgas – for Bus schedules:
Bus Station South – tel. 062 640 908
Bus Station West – tel. 062 620 014
You can travel to Veliko Tarnovo by train directly on the lines from Plovdiv and Russe. The trains from Sofia and Varna arrive at the bus station in the town of Gorna Oryahovitsa which is situated 7 km far from Veliko Tarnovo. From there you can change another train, bus, taxi or the regular bus line №10. There are daily international trains for Istanbul and Bucharest from Gorna Oryahovitsa.
For Bus schedules: http://www.bdz.bg
- By air
- The closest airport near Veliko Tarnovo is located in Gorna Oryahovitsa (10km far from Veliko Tarnovo). It is equipped with the most modern technique and has 24 hours of operation but unfortunately there are no regular flights. Only charter and freight flights from Europe, Asia and Africa are accepted. There are regular flights from different parts of the world to the capital Sofia, from where you can travel by public transport to Veliko Tarnovo or to the capital of Romania – Bucharest which is 160km far from Veliko Tarnovo.
- South Bus Station – tel. +359 62 620 014
- West Bus Station – tel. +359 62 640 908
You can travel from Plovdiv and Ruse directly to Veliko Turnovo by train, and from Sofia and Varna you can get a train to Gorna Oriahovitsa, and from there to Veliko Turnovo you can get a connection train, taxi or local bus line No.10 (distance to VT is 7km.)
- Every day there are international trains to Istanbul and Bucharest from Gorna Oriahovitsa train station.
- For time tables try – http://www.bdz.bg